How to Avoid Roller Marks & Brush Marks on Your Paint Finish
You set out to do a nice job, achieve a great paint finish and then you end up with ugly brush marks or roller marks (lap marks) all over the place. So unless you start all over again you are stuck with that look which, after all your hard work is very annoying and disappointing. All that hard work ruined.
What Causes Brush Marks & Roller Marks?
The problem occurs when your paint or varnish dries too quickly before the paint gets a chance to ‘flow out’ properly. Painters, Decorators describe this as ‘losing the wet edge’. The paint retains the pattern of the brush or roller application which usually highlights the path of your brush or roller.
Paints in general are designed to flow out smooth in average conditions with a certain temperature, humidity, wind etc and when you work outside those ideal conditions, your paint or varnish may behave in a different way, i.e. it becomes harder to apply; you will detect a pull or drag in the paint brush etc.
Brush marks and roller marks are especially common in household paints such as emulsions, (latex paints) masonry paints, oil based paints, varnishes etc..
We Offer You 2 Solutions to Brush Marks & Roller Marks
Oil Based Paint & Varnish Brush & Roller Mark Eliminator & Paint Finish Enhancer
When top painter decorators want to achieve that perfect finish with any oil based paint or varnish, their secret weapon (sorry guys, but people really need to hear about this) is a paint conditioner (additive) called Owatrol Oil. (Discovered by a painter in 1934)
They know from years of experience & testing what works and does not work and which products they can depend on to ensure their pro reputation remains intact.
They use Owatrol Oil as an ‘adjusting tool’ to ensure their paint or varnish will flow out exactly as it should do, irrespective of conditions, leaving a ‘mirror’ flat finish.
Traditionally, people have used regular White Spirit to ‘loosen up’ the gloss or varnish to make it flow out level. That’s OK too except for a couple of important points you are no doubt aware of by now…
Did You Know…White spirit actually damages your paint (yet, astonishingly, many paint manufacturers still write on their can to thin the paint if needed with white spirit!).
White Spirit breaks down and kills the paint’s hiding and covering power and it also causes the finish to dull prematurely, especially outdoors. Pro painters avoid mixing white spirit into their paint for those same reasons. Thinning with white spirit usually means you may need an extra coat or two to compensate for the ‘poor hiding’ especially in low hide colours like reds, yellows etc or when you are changing from a dark to a bright colour etc. White spirit is ideal for cleaning your brush or roller afterwards.
Owatrol Oil Does the Complete Opposite to White Spirit When Added to Paint…It Increases Hiding Power and Enhances the Finish
When you ‘loosen’ oil based paints or varnish with Owatrol Oil, it does the complete opposite to White Spirit… it increases hiding power and retains the gloss or whatever finish much longer than the paint itself left unaided.
8 Key Benefits of Owatrol Oil used as a Paint Conditioner:
- Owatrol stays where you put it – in the paint – does not evaporate. White spirit evaporates quickly up into the atmosphere, (creating more problems) that’s why you need to continually add more during the painting job. (White Spirit may be banned soon) Owatrol Oil (paint additive / paint conditioner) actually adds to the body of the paint and does not evaporate as does white spirit meaning it is completely ECO friendly.
- Saves Coats on Low hide Colours
When you add Owatrol Oil into your paint or varnish (especially thicker,
heavier types) you save lots of time and hard work applying extra coats when
ever you have to apply low hide colours such as yellows, reds etc or you are
changing colour from dark to bright or visa versa.
- Makes Paint Go Further You will also notice that when you add Owatrol Oil, your paint / varnish will stretch a lot further, in fact the additional coverage usually pays for any Owatrol Oil you used in the first place! Do not be surprised if you achieve 20% additional coverage!
- Paint Faster When you use Owatrol Oil in your oil paint / varnish etc, you will discover that you can paint much faster & effortlessly. That is because the paint goes where you put it and flows out properly, you don’t need to keep going back over it to ‘tidy up’ lap marks, streaks etc. Smart Professional painters realise that they can save at least 15 minutes in the hour (25%) when painting a bunch of doors, windows, panels etc by using Owatrol Oil, a fact that makes their job more profitable.
- Get That Dream Finish If you are painting your kitchen cabinets, doors, railings etc, add Owatrol Oil for a finish that will seriously annoy your ‘friends’. No brush marks or roller marks. Check out ESP also for prepping smooth shiny surfaces like kitchen cabinets etc.
- Use Indoor or Outdoors Owatrol Oil can be used in all situations, in or outdoor. In fact you can even apply oil based paints using Owatrol Oil in temperatures as low as 25degree C with no streaks or marks.
- If You Use a Spray gun Owatrol Oil is the perfect compliment when you use a paint sprayer to apply oil based paints, varnish etc. Less pressure required, reduces overspray and get a better finish.
- Works with all OIL Based Paints and Varnish. Owatrol oil is compatible with and works in conjunction with any Oil based paint or varnish. Look for Clean Up on the paint can and wherever it says clean or thin with White Spirit, Owatrol Oil is compatible with that paint)
NOTE: It does not work in cellulose, xylene or other ‘hot solvent’ thinners or two part paints (paint with hardeners)
|Owatrol Oil Small (500ml)||€14.97||Add to Cart|
|Owatrol Oil Medium (1L)||€24.50||Add to Cart|
|Owatrol Oil Large (5L)||€84.97||Add to Cart|
|Owatrol Oil X-Large (20L)||€329.77||Add to Cart|
Other Applications for Owatrol Oil:
There are dozens of other unique applications where you can experience amazing results using Owatrol Oil. Here are a few…
- It makes oil based paint stick to difficult surfaces such as sills, wall cappings
- Forces moisture our of wood such as sash windows to make good again
- Gives a lovely rustic finish on interior wood.
- Restores lustre to Fibreglass without damaging the Gel coat
- Polishes chrome, s.steel, brass etc.
- Unbeatable rust treatment – can be used in conjunction with paints.
- Seals stone, marble, wood and other porous surfaces
- Buffs out most hot plate rings on wooden tables etc.
- Mixed with any colour oil paint makes an amazing penetrating stain for concrete etc
Water Based Paint Brush & Roller Mark Eliminator & Paint Finish Enhancer
Floetrol, as the name suggests makes paint flow. Like its sister product above (Owatrol Oil) Floetrol has been around for decades but has been mainly the preserve of professional painter decorators who are in no hurry telling others about their little secret! Now this little known & amazing ‘painting tool’ is available to you.
OK, so normally when your emulsion (Latex) or masonry paint is too thick and does not apply or flow out well, you reach for the water and add some in to loosen it up a bit.
That is a common (no cost) method but you pay in other ways...lost time, more work, additional paint required etc.
Water thins the body of the paint making extra coats necessary in some instances, especially in weaker low hide colours or changing from dark to bright or visa versa.
10 Key Benefits of Floetrol:
- Does NOT thin the paint as water does, but it contains a special ingredient that allows the paint to flow out beautifully with no roller marks, laps marks etc.
- It increases hiding power significantly, especially in low hide colours.
- Gets rid of ugly roller marks, streaks etc in deep colours like Terracotta etc (usually visible in different lighting situations, around light switches etc)
- Keeps the ‘Wet Edge’ open longer allowing the paint to flow out smooth.
- Paint much faster because you don’t need to constantly go back over your work trying to get rid of streaks, roller marks etc.
- Superb in water based gloss acrylics and eggshells.
- Great for all ‘special effects’ decorative painting, Faux Finishing, marbling etc.
- Recommended for use in all electric spray guns to prevent piston freeze up etc
- Very useful for cutting in – keeps edge open to join up with main coat later.
- Pays for itself from additional coverage and time saved
|Floetrol Small (1L)||€15.97||Add to Cart|
|Floetrol Medium (2.5L)||€33.87||Add to Cart|
|Floetrol Large (10L)||€129.97||Add to Cart|
With Owatrol Oil and Floetrol, Your Roller Marks, Brush Marks and Lap Marks Problems Are Solved.